More jelly roll race quilts. Now, a tradition.
I’ve been wanting to make a jelly roll race quilt since reading about it last year. With a cousin’s baby shower coming up, and all attempts at making a crocheted blanket like the one great-nana made for me being non-starters, I thought to give it a go.
I matched the jelly roll with a solid pink and set off with my strips. The top came together easily in an evening. Although, the recommendation for cutting off the first 18 inches may not have been for half-sized projects as some of my blocks ended up close to the edges.
For quilting, I decided to take it on myself. I recalled the rug mug test I had done with free motion quilting and ran a larger swatch. I filed down part of my foot and plate that was getting stuck on the needle and settled in.
After about 20% was complete, I stopped to see how it was going. My stitches were far from uniform, and the fabric had shifted to create bunches between stippled areas.
I skinned the quilt (taking out all those quilting stitches) and started over with spray basting. This worked out better and I was able to complete the quilt without much further incident.
The recipient liked the final result and I’m proud of how it came out.
With stitch width and length set to zero, as advised, I attached the foot. At first, I didn’t see how it would fit, but soon realized that the metal loop at the back would work as a spring, floating the foot above the sandwich.
To practice, I pieced a pinwheel block with half square triangles. With the ultimate goal being a mug rug, to replace the (un-hemmed) scrap on my computer desk that had been serving as a coaster.
The pinwheel block was also a first, and I noticed that the center seam, where all points came together, was bulky. But, I figured it would work out (it always does).
The stippling was jagged but functional. Until the middle.
It was a crack of thunder when the needle broke.
I was able to finish the quilting, but now the needle doesn’t center in the foot. It has sliced through the plastic, and worn its own groove in the foot. I’m going to order a new foot before trying again, but am very happy to have a stylish, new, over-sized, coaster.
The idea for the pineapple wave quilt has been percolating for a while. On average, I’ll think about a project for two or three years before beginning.
In January 2011, I started working out the math, made sketches, and purchased fabric.